Re: A capability in the IMAP protocol.

On 01/02/2015 at 03:01 PM, Peter Easthope wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does the IMAP protocol allow retrieving a message, body included,
> from a server and then deleting from the server while keeping on the
> client? This might be described as simulating a POP behavour in
> IMAP.

IMAP allows retrieving a message, and IMAP allows deleting a message, so
this can certainly be done. (As long as the server actually respects the
delete command, rather than archiving on delete or something like that,
but that would be server-specific.)

> If the protocol allows this, is the capability implemented in most
> clients?

I don't know of any which do it automatically, even as a toggle-able
option, but I could do it with Thunderbird message filters easily
enough.

Just set up a message filter on the IMAP-server Inbox folder with a
"Copy Message" action (which copies the message to a subfolder under
Local Folders), followed by a "Delete Message" action (which deletes the
message from the source folder, which is on the IMAP server).

I imagine that various other mail clients also provide sufficiently
capable message-filtering or other scripting functionality. No direct
support for this by IMAP itself should be necessary.

--
   The Wanderer