Re: Moving LVM volume?

On Jan 02 11:52, Joel Rees (joel.rees@gmail.com) wrote:

> There can be reasons to do such things on production servers, but
> even then, you are basically only going to do it to salvage data,
> never the OS.

LVM is also a great way to avoid downtime when adding or replacing
disks. A couple months ago I had to replace all disks (24 of them,
in three RAID controllers)  in a file server, and with LVM it could
be done with zero downtime (OK, I did schedule a reboot after it
was done just to make sure it worked).

(I've been a great fan of LVM ever since 1992 or thereabouts, when
it was first introduced in HP-UX. It's a major boon in systems
with multiple disks and long lifetimes, less so in workstations -
although I find it useful enough even in them, as disks tend to
need replacing if only because they get too small, and it's nice
to be able to do that without much downtime.)

--
Tapani Tarvainen