Re: Debian right for my use?

Cadman wrote:
> I need help determining whether Debian OS is the right OS for my needs.

You are asking on a Debian user list.  Any answer other than yes here
would lead me to seriously question the responses.  Meanwhile I would
expect that a Fedora list would respond for Fedora for example and the
same for every other distribution's user lists.  We are all here
because this is where we want to be.

> I am a Draftsman working from home due to physical handicaps.  I use graphic
> and RAM memory intensive 3D CAD software in Windows 7.  My W7 OS is
> operating poorly and is expensive to replace.
>
> If Linux is right for me; I need to replace it with a 1. Very stable, 2.
> With least amount of configuring and 3. User Friendly Linux OS.

Stable?  Yes.  Least amount of configuration?  I don't know.  With
power comes flexibility.  That requires decision making.  I would
definitely trade some need to configure for that power and
flexibility.  Friendly?  As the old saying goes Unix is friendly but
it is choosy who its friends are. :-)

> A friend suggested that I replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04, which
> I did.  It worked fine until I installed my 3D CAD software within Virtual
> Box.  Since then Ubuntu and the software crashes often.  It even reboots
> instead of turning the screen black when the 10 minute screen saver feature
> operates.

Even though this is a Debian list and not an Ubuntu one I wouldn't run
from Ubuntu to Debian because of this.  I would expect their behavior
to be identical.  I expect the problem to be VirtualBox and VirtualBox
would cause Debian's kernel to behave the same way.

This is a few years old now but I will ask the list if anything has
changed since then?

  The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted Crap
  Published on 11 October 2011 10:50 AM EDT
  http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk5Mw

It has been a few years but if the problem reported above remains and
I haven't read otherwise since then (please correct me with current
references) then the problem on the Linux kernel is probably
VirtualBox and not the kernel.

I think VirtualBox is very popular because on Microsoft Windows it
appears to be a very popular and stable system there.  But that
stability there did not translate across platforms.  On MS it is
probably a good choice.  On a Linux kernel?  Maybe not.

Other people have suggested VMware.  Is the license for that a
free(dom) license?  There are other virtualization options.  Xen is
still very popular.  I am using KVM.

Bob