Re: Debian right for my use?

Go here to read about all the distros:  http://distrowatch.com/

> I am a Draftsman working from home due to physical handicaps.  I use
> graphic and RAM memory intensive 3D CAD software in Windows 7.  My W7
> OS is operating poorly and is expensive to replace.

Have you done a malware, spyware, etc. scan on the system lately?  Also
use task manager to check CPU usage.  Overall, it shouldn't be more than
a few percent on average.  If more is being used like more than 50%
continuously for no apparent reason, then use task manager to see what
processes are using the most cycles.  You're probably infected. Windows
is notorious for getting infected, if you're not very, very cautious. Or
you may have a lot of unnecessary background processes running. Check
your RAM/Virtual Memory usage, too.

I have a friend who for years completely reinstalled his Windows system
every 6 months just to keep it "usable."  And that's even with running a
virus checker and doing malware scans regularly.  He finally got fed
up and switched to a Mac. ;-)

> If Linux is right for me; I need to replace it with a 1. Very stable,
> 2. With least amount of configuring and 3. User Friendly Linux OS.

Can't beat Debian for stability.  Take a look at the 64-bit version of
Debian 7 Wheezy with the LXDE desktop for "friendly" and ease of
configuring. I consider the KDE and GNOME desktops resource hogs and
no better than LXDE.  XFCE is okay, but I prefer LXDE for a
lightweight desktop.

Of the other Linuxes out there, Linux Mint has a good rep.  There's
even a version that's uses Debian as its codebase.

For now, don't consider Debian 8 Jessie. It's still in Testing status.

> A friend suggested that I replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04,
> which I did.  It worked fine until I installed my 3D CAD software
> within Virtual Box.  Since then Ubuntu and the software crashes
> often.  It even reboots instead of turning the screen black when the
> 10 minute screen saver feature operates.

I don't and never have liked Ubuntu.

VirtualBox crashing?  Are you giving it enough RAM?  Did you install
VirtualBox Extras?  I'm running Windows XP 32-bit SP3 and
Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw in VirtualBox 4.2.26 on my 64-bit Wheezy
system (3.0GHZ AMD Phenom Quadcore, 8 GB RAM).  I allot 3GB RAM to XP
-- all it can "see." Everything runs fine. Very stable. Fast.  No
crashes. Not in 2 years.

FWIW, you may find the available Open Source 3D Linux CAD software
unsuitable compared to what you're used to.