Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

David Christensen wrote on 01/01/2015 05:53 PM:

> restore).  More recently, I learned enough zfs-fuse for single and
> mirrored data drives.  I later migrated to ZOL for performance.
> Administration of ZFS file systems requires a lot more knowledge and
> planning.

This must be one of those YMMV things, because I have systems with both kinds
of RAID, and I find ZFS to be vastly easier to administer (and, in fact,
superior in every way except the extremely annoying license incompatibility
whose result is that one can't boot from a ZFS drive into debian).

> And since ZOL is not integrated into Debian, I had to invent
> scripts to get things mounted at boot and cleanly unmounted at shutdown.

I don't know why you had to do that. I have in the past few days put ZoL on a
brand new debian system, and the ZFS pools are mounted and unmounted exactly
as one would hope, without any intervention from me.

If you are trying to use ZFS for /boot or some of the other system
hierarchies, then I can see how you would have a problem that would likely
require home-grown scripts; but if ZFS is being used just to hold data (or
user home directories), then you should not have to write any scripts to
handle mounting and unmounting.

> Perhaps someone with mdadm experience can offer some pointers for
> learning enough mdadm to set up RAID 0.

I did it by trial-and-error (as I "learn" most things) and I have to say that
it took a lot longer than the same process did for ZFS. The Arch wiki, I
recall, was the most useful single resource.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR