Re: Putting It All On a Stick

Joe,

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 15:43:12 +0000, you wrote:

>No, it's the very opposite of knowing where things go. The dd command
>is a very simple, completely unintelligent copier. But an ISO file is
>an image, literally every byte stored on some medium being scraped up
>in order, with the intention that it is laid down byte-for-byte starting
>at location zero on some other medium.

I understand the laying down of content well enough, but I have always
thought that when something is created, it has a name, and some
firmwares look for that name as the first thing in a table of names,
so when a .ISO file gets laid down on a piece of media, the first
thing in that media's names table is the name of the ISO file, not the
contents thereof, which is why there are image-burner programs out
there that don't lay the package down as a package, but open it and
lay down the contents as such. Maybe I needa go back to school to
learn how this works.