Re: Putting It All On a Stick

to put a sock in this discussion, I have, in fact, gone to one or two
locations where there was *NO* Internet at all because the person who
wanted an accessible computer had no idea that in this day and age a
network connection is a virtual requirement to do anything useful.
They were quite happy to have a standalone system that could play
insertable media, write and print things, etc. They thought even such
things as electronic mail and basic Web-browsing were above their
capabilities. They soon discovered they were wrong ... but thereby
hangs another tail. The end user had a portable networking device that
could be plugged in and activated on demand, but there were no drivers
or other software components that were required in order to get it
working. With a net install setup, I'd've exhausted the poor person's
data cap in a matter of minutes, which is why I try to come prepared
with installation media of all sorts, an yes, once in a while I get
somebody whose machine, particularly a newer laptop, has no removable
rotating media capability. They leave CD-DVD drives out of a lot of
new laptops now in order to save space. They're cheap enough, so it's
not a cost saving the manufacturers are after.