Re: getting high resolution with recent nvidia card

On 2015-12-31 01:24 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> I'm running wheezy and recently added a new graphics card (nvidia 980
> Ti) and a new monitor (Dell 3440x1440 resolution).

Wheezy's kernel is four years old, don't expect brand-new hardware to
work with it.

> The connection is
> via DisplayPort.  I would like to get this to work, though I don't
> necessarily need a lot of acceleration.

The nouveau driver won't provide any acceleration at all for this card
even in current versions, because the hardware needs signed firmware for
that, and NVidia does not release this firmware.  Basic modesetting does
work with a kernel ≥ 3.19, but you would need to backport at least
libdrm and xserver-org-video-nouveau from Jessie to make use of that.

> Any advice about the best way to proceed?  Should I be trying to make
> the vesa driver (if that's what I'm using) work by filling in
> modelines in xorg.conf?

Probably won't work, and the vesa driver certainly does not support the
native resolution of your display.

> Or perhaps I should try to manually build the driver from nvidia?

That's your best call.

> But I suspect that may not work with the wheezy kernel.

I would give it a try, NVidia's driver usually does not need recent
kernels.

Cheers,
       Sven