Re: Need help with disk config.

Dennis Wicks wrote:

> It will have 4x1TB SATA drives, 4x250GB IDE/PATA drives and
> all the memory it can use and a fast AMD socket AM2 processor.
>
> I'd like some suggestions on how to format/allocate the SATA
> drives. I imagine that one of them will be the system disk
> with the other 3 containing data, but ext2,3,4? Or other
> file system. LVM?, Raid?

I tend to use raid whenever possible (as in your case).
you have few options for raiding there and it is up to you what setup you
would prefer.
but straight forward would be 2x2 1TB and 2x2 250GB this will give you 2x1TB
of SATA and 2x250GB in PATA drives raided.

However you should consider creating small boot partition (raided is good
choice here as well) 256 or 512MB should be enough. I don't know how it
looks like to boot off PATA. SATA works for me pretty well.

I also encrypt the content so depends where you create your root fs
(SATA/PATA) you would need another (raided) partition for that and for the
easiness not crypted, but if it is your workstation and not the server,
perhaps you want to encrypt this as well. In the latter case you just
create 1 boot and 1 partition for the encrypted or LVM.

LVM and EXT4 is recommended. I do use initially like 75% of the space for
LVM volumes the rest is allocated whenever needed and lv/ext4 can be easily
resized (on the fly).

I hope this helps

regards