Re: Re: Laptop + VGA + X

Gary Dale wrote:
On 29/12/15 07:00 PM, Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda wrote:
Hi.

The monitor of my laptop is broken, thus the screen frequently becomes
white. Then, it is needed to turning off the energy and restart the
laptop (not always with success).

Therefore, I plugged a VGA monitor. However, the VGA monitor does not
work when X is active. (It works very fine with framebuffer, though.)

How to enable Xorg to use a VGA monitor plugged to a laptop?

Thanks.
Hudson Lacerda

Which desktop manager are you using? Usually they have graphical tools
to detect the monitors and switch between them, use them both with the
same output or use them as an extra-large single display. It's pretty
rare these days to need to fiddle with config files for this.

Hi.

I am using Fluxbox 1.3.5-2 (very basic setup, with just the main bar and gkrellm, no "desktop" icons or other plugins).

When I used this laptop for presentations (connected to data projectors), I sometimes needed to use the framebuffer and tools like fbgs, fbi, gpm, etc.

May that be a hardware limitation? Is not X not compatible with old CRT monitors anymore?

Thanks.

--
Hudson Lacerda - www.hudsonlacerda.com
--

- Venha para a Diaspora* - uma rede social livre e descentralizada
	https://diasporafoundation.org

- Mantenha o controle de sua computação, senão ela vai controlar você!
	https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/keep-control-of-your-computing.html

- O modelo das urnas eletrônicas brasileiras é o mais antiquado e
  obscuro em uso no mundo.
	http://votoseguro.org