Re: Question: eth0 vs enp1s0

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:34:43 +0100
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>just a question about network names, which I do not understand.
>
>I have two different computers, both are installed with the same versions of
>debian packages. But one of it has enp1s0 as network interface name( my EEEPC
>1005HGO) , the other one the old eth0 scheme (my Aspire 7520G).
>
>Both got 70-persistent-net-rules configured.
>
>Now I can not understand, why one of them is using enp1s0. Who is deciding the
>name? I read the documentations and the blogs, but I did not understand, why
>both machines are different.
>
>As I am not happy (at the moment) with the new naming, I added the if.names=0
>to the grub commandline.
>
>Would be nice, if someone could help me to understand.
>
>Best regards and a happy new year.
>
>Hans

It is supposed to simplify the naming scheme. It confuses me at this
time. An explanation of why they decided it needed changing is:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

As to why two systems will have different names, as they get the bugs
ironed out, they add the changes to the installer.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914