Re: Need a calculator that knows about coulombs

On Wednesday 23 December 2015 14:33:39 John Hasler wrote:

> Gene H writes:
> > The only thing I needed an electrician for was to do the drop seal
> > break & disconnect, install a heavier drop to the new meterhead, the
> > inspector came...
>
> Electricians, permits and inspectors eh?  I guess when you have
> oppressive government you just have to live with these things.  I
> redid the farm with buried cable and put in a new service and all I
> had to do was give Excel a written assertion that I had complied with
> code.

Here in Wv, jumper cables across the meter socket have been a problem, so
a broken seal on the meters retaining ring is a felony. Its also a
felony in several other states I have lived and worked in.

But to my knowledge, the NEC code has only been in effect since the later
80's. You would be aghast at some stuff thats grandfathered in, lioke
our old transmitter site. 4 pieces of 750mcm alu come from the
substation pole, with no building disconnect between them and the hot
side of a GE AK-225 3 phase plate breaker/relay, which feeds a 50kw
transformer delivering a rectified 7200 volts for the transmitters final
amplifiers.  We've burned out that 750 mcm and the entry weatherhead
twice on my watch because Burndy can't make a crimp sleeve for that size
that maintains a 'gas tight' connection to an alu cable over the years.
Its the power companies cable, but copper costs lots more so they will
just replace it when it gets cooked. The list at that site goes on, but
its now retired and the only power on is for the tower lights, still
required.

This house, build as a kit by National Homes in 1975, is not and never
will be 100% compliant to the NEC.  When we had an extra fire door
installed as an escape route in the back bedroom, I had the installer
add a duplex on each side of it because every other duplex in the whole
house is mid-wall and totally in-accessible without moving hundreds of
lbs of furniture. Just to plug in the vacuum cleaner?  Screw 'em, I'll
put them where they CAN be used. Its paid for, all ours, and well
insured.  I treat it like it was Los Vegas, what happens here, stays
here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)