Re: removing TexLive Docs packages

On 2015-12-23 at 09:55, Udyant Wig wrote:

> On 12/23/2015 12:15 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>
>> I installed TexLive recently and during one of the upgrades, the
>> entire texdoc package got installed too.  that is humoungous and
>> I'd like to remove the doc packages alone and also stop future
>> installs of the same type whenever I Upgrade TexLive.
>
>   An appreciable problem.
>
>   # To remove all installed packages with `texlive' and `doc' in their
>   # names:
>   # aptitude remove '~i~ntexlive~ndoc'
>
>   # To prevent these packages from getting installed later:
>   # aptitude hold '~ntexlive~ndoc'

Does this latter actually work?

I would expect it to use the same hold mechanism as 'apt-mark hold' or
'echo "packagename hold" | dpkg --set-selections', and in my experience
holding a package as not installed does not work; it doesn't even get
recorded in the package-selection state, and certainly doesn't get
respected later when another package Depends or Recommends that package.

If that's been changed, or if there's a mechanism which avoids it and
does work, I'd be very interested.

>>  sivaram
>>  --
>
>   Minor note: I do not recall seeing signatures like yours.

The standard for signature delimiters is a line consisting of '-- ', as
the first line of the signature block. Software which knows what it's
doing will see this line and treat whatever comes after it specially -
for example, leave it out when quoting a message for reply.

If what he(?) really wants to do is treat his name as part of the post
and any (un-snipped? bottom-quoted?) text below that as special, then
his current signature delimiter is _almost_ correct - the "almost" being
because he has a space before the '--' as well as after, so the
delimiter won't be recognized by most software.

If he's aiming for a normal signature delimiter, however, he does indeed
have it slightly wrong.
--
   The Wanderer