Sound from computer to TV monitor via HDMI -- how?

In my box I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI parent board.  It has an
integrated graphics processor with three ports, one DVI-I and two HDMI
ports.  It also has Realtek ALC892 high definition with five
configurable analogue speaker jacks and one S/PDIF digital optical
connector.  Wheezy is my current Debian iteration; alsa is the sound
system I am using.

Last month I acquired a LG 49"inch TV/monitor which is connected to one
of the HDMI jacks on the parent board described above.  I can get video
on this monitor, but I have been unable to route the sound through the
HDMI connection to the speakers built in to the TV/monitor.  The sound
still comes from the analogue speaker jacks to an external
amplifier-speaker set.  So my question is how do I get the sound through
the HDMI cable in addition to or instead of the analogue connections?

Two years ago, when I first started using this parent board I did not
get sound at all. After a Google search I found a solution which
required the creation of file /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/asoundrc.conf
with the following content:

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

(Apparently since Wheezy alsa no longer works ‘out of the box’, as I had
to add the same file in another box with Jessie.)

It seems logical to me that to enable sound through an HDMI port
something should be added to this file.  To determine what I found the
following information about my system.

Running “lspci|grep -i audio” shows that there are two audio devices:

Intel Corporation Haswell HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
Intel Corporation Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

Command “aplay -L” returns the following:
Null
    PulseAudio Sound Server
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2
    HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2
    HDMI Audio Output
default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Command ‘aplay -l’ returns some of the same result as ‘aplay -L’ but in
a rather different format:

card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

These are presumably the identifications of all the possible
permutations of the two cards in the machine.

Command “lsmod|grep snd” returns the following:
snd_seq_dummy          12503  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     45134  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek    62994  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    63154  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel          26327  3
snd_hda_controller     26631  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec         108219  5
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_hwdep              17205  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                88538  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_seq                57061  1 snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device         13132  2 snd_seq,snd_seq_dummy
snd_timer              26768  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    69285  16
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_se
		q,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore              13026  2 snd,snd_hda_codec

All the required modules seem to be there; otherwise I would not be able
to get analogue sound.

 After spending about sixteen hours on Google searches I found two
suggestions:

(a) Adding the following to /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/asoundrc.conf:

	Pcm.! Default	{
		type hw
		card 0
		device 7
	}

(b) Adding the following to /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/asoundrc.conf:

	defaults.ctl.card 1
	defaults.pcm.card 1
	defaults.timer.card 1

I tried both, and also tried various combinations of card and device
numbers.  None had the desired effect.  In fact when I tried any of
these and left the other entries in that file open, access to the
analogue speakers was cut off.

So where do I go now?  I will be thankful for any help received from
other users on this list.

Regards, Ken Heard