Re: How to get out of a "...but it is not going to be installed"-type situation with apt-get?

On 2015-12-19 at 11:38, Kynn Jones wrote:

> An additional detail I noticed after I posted the message above:
>
>     % apt-cache policy ffmpeg
>     ffmpeg:
>       Installed: (none)
>       Candidate: 7:2.8.3-1
>       Version table:
>          7:2.8.3-1 0
>             500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
>

> I don't understand why the ffmpeg version from stretch comes out as
> the best (and only remaining) candidate.
>
> How can I find out why the ffmpeg version from jessie (whatever that
> is) is not a candidate?

If you look at the package listing for ffmpeg on packages.debian.org:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ffmpeg

you will see that there is no ffmpeg package listed for jessie. (There's
one for jessie-backports, but that requires a separate sources.list entry.)

If I remember my timeline of events correctly, this is because there was
no ffmpeg package in jessie; the libav fork was present in its place. (I
thought libav had still been providing a ffmpeg dummy package, but I may
be remembering wrong.)

When ffmpeg itself was packaged for Debian again, apparently it didn't
make it in in time to be included in the jessie release, but it did get
added to stretch after jessie was released. (If I remember and interpret
matters correctly, libav has been removed from stretch.)

If you want the jessie-era libav* packages, try installing libav-tools
instead of ffmpeg. You won't get exactly the same commands or
functionality, but most of it should be similar enough for many purposes.

--
   The Wanderer