Re: no response from listmaster

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:31:06 +0000 (UTC)
Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:

> What I like about my existing setup is that all of my mail gets
> deposited locally on my machine.  I can read most (but no longer all)
> of the text with a simple "mail" from the command line.  This is the
> easiest way to read and archive my mails in the style I've developed
> and prefer.  If I could have gmail forwarded to an account on my
> local machine, that would work well.  If I'd have to always read it
> in a browser, I'd be less happy.  I won't take the time to research
> alternatives like this unless I can't revive the system I like.

You could use something like getmail (package getmail4):

Description-en: mail retriever with support for POP3, IMAP4 and SDPS
 getmail is intended as a simple replacement for fetchmail.
 It retrieves mail (either all messages, or only unread messages)
 from one or more POP3/IMAP4/SDPS servers for one or more email
 accounts, and reliably delivers into a qmail-style Maildir, mbox
 file or to a command (pipe delivery) like maildrop or procmail,
 specified on a per-account basis. getmail also has support for
 domain (multidrop) mailboxes.
 .
 Supported protocols:
 POP3, POP3-over-SSL, IMAP4, IMAP4-over-SSL, and SDPS mail.

Works very well for me, easy to set up. As long as your mail provider
offers one of the supported protocols (Gmail has both POP3 and IMAP) it
should do what you want.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"