Re: no response from listmaster

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 02:46:43AM +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

[...]

> I am running mailto/sendmail from the command line, configured locally by
> /etc/sendmail/sendmail.cf.  This file includes:
>
>   DSsmtp.uc.edu
>
> This sets my employer's server smtp.uc.edu as SMART_HOST.  I did not route
> through that server until 2006.  At that point an organization across the
> street began refusing emails because my IP was seen as dynamic.  I had to
> route through smtp.uc.edu to get around that.  I haven't tried lately to go
> back to the pre-2006 system.  I do have one machine with a fixed IP.  On my
> desk machine I masquerade to the fixed IP, but apparently e-mails from the
> desk machine were detected as dynamic IP before the header was even checked.

That sounds like a lot of guesswork. Note that the spam [1] protection
strategies are extremely varied these days, ranging from "I only accept
mail from a couple of well-known sites" to DKIM [1] or SPF [2] and a
whole zoo of other measures which don't really work (half of the spam
I get has a DKIM, which suggests that some filters are spoofed by it).

Perhaps the DKIM record of your uni doesn't list your IP address as one
allowed to send mail from this domain?

Other criteria are the domain's reputation and RBLs. The first mail I
sent to a friend on outlook.com (I maintain my own mail server) never
arrived (no bounce, no nothing: it just disappeared). Once she sent
me a mail, "the channel was open".

Spam filtering is hard.

Add to this that the "biggies" don't dislike the situation that people
have to turn to them to be able to reliably send mail, and then you
see why they take half-hearted measures which generate "some" collateral
damages. It's disgusting: mail, as a true peer-to-peer communication
medium is dying thanks to spam, and thanks to the likes of Microsoft,
Yahoo, Facebook, Google, Twitter et al.

As if they were allies.

So if you want still to send mail from your own IP, you'll have to
know a bit about spam.

Another thing: don't be impatient with the Debian listmasters. They're
doing volunteer work. They deserve our appreciation. And if things
don't work as they should, perhaps offering our hand is better than
venting our ire.

Cheers

[1] Yes, counter to your suggestion in another mail I do mention the word
    "spam", because you can't explain the current situation without that.
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSBL

- -- tomás