Re: Locale-related questions

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
Le nonidi 9 frimaire, an CCXXIV, Morten W. Petersen a écrit :
> I was looking for a locale that would enable me to putwchar a 32-bit
> Unicode character to stdout and have things handled correctly,
> automatically.  Without any re-encoding to UTF-8 and so on.

I do not know what your program is about, but what you are asking seems to
me like a very bad idea.

You should use putwchar() if you WANT automatic recoding to the current
locale, transparently and for any locale, as long as the character is
possible.

Hm.  But how would I go about setting up a locale that is in fact UTF-32?

I guess I need to build locale files that contain translations and so on in
UTF-32, and also need to hack a bit on terminal code and so on to get
that going?

-Morten