Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Marc Shapiro composed on 2015-12-01 07:15 (UTC-0800):

> I will install  firmware-amd-graphics as soon as I get a chance

firmware-linux-nonfree is what worked on Jessie for my Cedar and for Mart.

> (probably this evening) and report back.  Meanwhile, Felix says that he
> never received my post with the full logs and others seem not to have

Looks like it never reached
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/12/threads.html either, possibly
due to excessive size, or maybe pasting as attachment rather than inline.

> received them, either, by what they have posted.  For the sake of
> keeping all of the information available for the future, I will post

Some people think "all information" should be saved for the future. Others
don't. It's your choice. Be aware that "all information" in the case of Xorg
logs and dmesg is voluminous, and like other mailing list info, stays on the
Internet forever. As some small portion of Xorg.0.log is arguably personal,
one may not wish it to be available forever. Those concerned with noise in
archive searches also may prefer the linking method of log sharing. Little in
those logs is actually relevant to solution, and often, what is is relevant
only to the OP.

Chris Bannister's opinion how to share voluminous data is not universal. On
some other mailing lists, inclusion is explicitly frowned upon. There are no
published/official rules here (of which I'm aware, and I did look) that say
one must or must not pollute list archives with voluminous logs.
http://paste.debian.net/ and other pastebins exist for good reason. Ephemeral
need is precisely one of them. Reducing loss of privacy is another.

> them at that time, as well.  Should they be sent as attachments, or
> inline.  I sent them as attachments last time. Could that have been the
> problem?

At this point, what's the point? Solution has almost certainly been
determined to be missing firmware. Xorg.0.log and dmesg won't explain why
firmware was installed in Wheezy but wasn't installed in Jessie. If your
trouble continues after installing firmware, previous logs are unlikely to be
helpful to resolution.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/