Re: OT: reply styles, family matters

I'll top-post here because I am replying to the entire message (quoted below).

Whether you top-post, in-post or bottom-post depends on the nature of that to which you reply.

When you reply to and critique an essay, you would likely reply in top-post form and leave the essay at the bottom so that readers, whom you may safely assume have already read it, may conveniently reference it.

When you reply and critique technical matter, you would typically reply in in-post form and reply to individual items. But on another paw, if you are proof-reading the essay, the you must reply in in-post form so that the author knows to which pieces your comments apply.

The difference is that an essay can be considered a single thought and should be replied to as a whole. Conversely, technical matters are a collection of thoughts; it is better to reply to each item so that the author, again, knows to which items your comments apply.