Re: Debian Wheezy boot messages

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:04:08 +0100
Klaus Jantzen <k.d.jantzen@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> where are the messages stored that Debain produces during booting (checking
> of various components, startup of e.g. postgresql, messages issued by
> /udev,
> error messages in case a routine could not be started, etc).
>
> I looked in /var/log through all logs but could not find those messages.

Those that are recorded should be in /var/log/messages or viewed via /bin/dmesg (a snapshot is stored in /var/log/dmesg).

But not *all* messages are stored. Much of what is displayed during startup are simply prints that vanish forever once they scroll off the screen (or out of the VC's history). The scripts would have to print to display them on the console *and* use /usr/bin/logger to store them in /var/log/messages (which is what I did recently with Smoothwall Express).