Re: Locale-related questions

Le nonidi 9 frimaire, an CCXXIV, Morten W. Petersen a écrit :
> I was looking for a locale that would enable me to putwchar a 32-bit
> Unicode character to stdout and have things handled correctly,
> automatically.  Without any re-encoding to UTF-8 and so on.

I do not know what your program is about, but what you are asking seems to
me like a very bad idea.

You should use putwchar() if you WANT automatic recoding to the current
locale, transparently and for any locale, as long as the character is
possible.

On the other hand, if as you say you do not want automatic recoding, then
you should use octet-based output functions: serialize your Unicode code
point to little or big endian as you prefer and use putchar() or fwrite() to
send it.

Note that wchar_t are Unicode code point under GNU but that is neither
guaranteed nor portable. Personally, I recommend not to use wchar_t
entirely.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George