can hot-add of new disk be recognized in rescue mode?

hi,

can hot-add of new disk be recognized under rescue mode when booted from linux dvd by any chance? (bcz we were able to see the data from the boot drive after mounting it to /b, thought to back up the data. The data is ~80-90gb and thought to insert a new disk in front so as to back the data to this new disk but somehow cannot see the new disk).

after adding i did cat on /proc/partitions but no new entry was made in it. dmesg also did not showed anything when disk was inserted. The only thing it sees and can easily mount is a usb drive and we can back to it easily. But the problem is that the max size of any file when written to usb is approx 4.2gb only and there are several folders whose tarball output turns out to be much more than that. That's why this new disk insertion we thought.

any ideas if/how to see the new-inserted-disk in rescue mode! (fdisk -l does not see that, apt-* commands do not work in rescue. Rescue dvd is ubuntu 8).

Thx