Re: grub rescue> (getting error: unknown filesystem) for all filesystems!

On 11/24/2015 06:16 PM, aman nangia wrote:
> Since this boot disk is 146gb (2.5" sas drive) and has some important data that needs to be retrieved, one option i thought was to take it out from broken system and insert it into another system running debian that has a empty filler disk panel. I did that thinking it will auto-recognize the disk but it did not.
>
> What is the debian cli to run a scan/probe like in solaris (devfsadm -C) to auto-recognize the newly added disk? That way i can mount it on /mnt and retrieve my files over.
>
> Thx for any pointers!

> On Tue, 11/24/15, aman nangia <aman_nangia@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: grub rescue> (getting error: unknown filesystem) for all filesystems!
>  To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>  Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 6:00 PM
>
>  debian 6.0 on intel chipset
>  architecture (not amd chipset). It's HP Gen7 system with no
>  dvd drive (only usb).
>
>  Will the file 'debian-live-6.0.4-amd64-rescue.img' that we
>  have handy help here to recover from above failed server?
>  Note the filename has amd in it and so am not sure if it
>  will work for intel chipsets based system or not. The size
>  of this img file is 600196kb file. There is no debian or
>  livecd media.
>
>  From another good running debian 6.0 system i tried running
>  dd if=/var/tmp/above-filename of=/dev/sdbe1 bs=4M; sync
>  (where my sdbe1 was the usb flash drive). After the command
>  i inserted this usb on the broken system and tried to boot
>  from it, it won't recognize it still.
>
>  Also, i tried putting a redhat 6.3 x86 and also rhel 5.3 x86
>  dvd in the usb dvd drive and tried to boot from it, it says
>  cannot find it.
>
>  am stuck now and need help!

One way is to have a fully running system. put the drive into a spare
slot or in a USB system. Depending on your system, it may automount (USB
enclosure) or you will have to mount it on the system.

First thing I would do is to just load it on the system and use gparted
to look at it only (this can destroy your disk).

Alternate method, is get something like parted magic (live rescue disk)
and boot from it. There you can try mounting the drive. In some cases
you may need to do a fsck to check the system (make backup before doing it).

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org