Re: Debian 7 to 8 upgrade changlog displays unstable/experimental packages

Andrew Puschak <apuschak@isc.upenn.edu> wrote:

> I inherited some Debian servers running 7 wheezy and am upgrading to 8
> jessie. During apt-get upgrade (after setting /etc/apt/sources.list to
> jessie) I get a less command displaying changelogs as seen below with
> the first package being nagios-nrpe. I also get a list of packages
> during apt-get dist-upgrade.

> nagios-nrpe (2.15-1) unstable; urgency=high
> ca-certificates (20140927) unstable; urgency=medium

This is just the way it is. The "unstable" refers to the distribution
this version of the package was uploaded to. For most this is
"unstable", some may have "jessie-security" like openssl:

| openssl (1.0.1k-3+deb8u1) jessie-security; urgency=medium

You can use "apt-cache policy packagename" to check what version
installed and from where:

,----
| ~# apt-cache policy openssl
| openssl: