Re: Problems setting up remote pc control

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 06:10:04PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have installed gvncviewer on the client pc and vnc4server on the pc to be
> controlled remotely.  The command vncserver on the pc to be controlled
> responds
>
> New: 'raspberrypi:2 (pi)' desktop is raspberrypi:2
>
> Then the command gnvcviewer 192.168.1.2:2 on the client machine responds
> asking to the password which was chosen for the vncserver.  When this is
> entered I get a white screen, no desktop.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try editing the file ~/.vnc/xstartup on the server side.  Some of the
commands there can be problematic.  I was trying to use vnc tonight
after many years, and had to replace the last two lines.  Here's what I
commented out (#), and what I replaced it with:
---------
# x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
xterm &
# x-window-manager &
icewm &
---------
The x-terminal-emulator was not showing up, and interfering with
earlier commands too, so I got a grey screen, which sounds like what
you get.  After replacing that with xterm, things sort of worked,
but I noticed that some keys like s and h didn't work.  So I changed the
window manager.  (The x-window-manager pointed to metacity.)

I just looked at this some more.  The x-terminal-emulator (which points
to /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper) works fine if I remove the -ls option.

This computer was installed a long time ago, so some of the above might
be remnants of out-of-date configs.