Re: Adobe Flash

On Friday 20 November 2015 06:43:49 moxalt wrote:
> >  Especially on this forum
> > on occasions where people are only using the Debian repositories.
>
> I don't understand this.

This is the Debian users mailing list.  It is in my opinion very inappropriate
to chastise people on the Debian mailing list for using Debian.

> > It is admirable that you are prepared to make sacrifices for your
> > principles. Telling others that they "should" make sacrifices for your
> > principles is arrogant.  Persuade them by all means.  But if you are so
> > dead set against all use of non-free or not-quite-fully-free software,
> > use one of these: http://www.gnu.org/distros/
>
> I was a Trisquel user for a long time. I still recommend Trisquel to those
> new to the world of free software. Personally I prefer Debian. As long as
> non-free and contrib are not enabled, Debian is just as free as any of
> those distributions. However, as
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/optionally-free-not-enough.html points out,
> distributions which merely present a choice between freedom and subjugation
> are not good enough for people who are not committed free software users
> and who are not prepared to defend their freedom when the choice is
> offered.
>
> This is why the distributions listed at
> http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html should be recommended to the
> general public.

Please stop preaching.  Most of us will I am sure have read the original and
made the decision to use Debian.  You talk of freedom, but wish to restrict
ours to make our own decisions.

You are entitled to your views, but we are entitled to ours.  If you feel that
the Debian developers made the wrong decision in deciding to include the
contrib and non-free repositories in the distribution, take it up with the
developers.  Meanwhile, you do your thing, along with those who agree with
you, and we'll do ours.

Which software one chooses to use is rarely a matter of morals.  Windows users
may be misguided, and in my opinion are, but they are not moral reprobates.

I think guns are immoral.  Many people in the USA think they are a
Constitutional Right and a Great Good.  That is a matter of morals.  Whether
one uses flashplayer or not, is not a matter of morals.

Lisi