Re: No sound - seeking ideas

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:50:35 +0100
Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 12:32 -0600, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> > In my experience, a good work-around is to use an external, usb
> > audio interface, such as the Lexcon Alpha, which costs about $50 and
> > provides
> > several significant benefits over on-board sound, whether for laptop
> > or
> > desktop.  The Alpha is powered off the usb, and typically "just
> > works".
>
> Doesn't lugging that thing around defeat the purpose of having a
> laptop? :)

Not really, if you bend your spine carrying a laptop around, it's not
just for email and web surfing. I carry a mains power adaptor, a 12V
adaptor if I'm travelling in someone else's vehicle, various USB cables
and a small hub plus mains power for it, straight and crossover Ethernet
cables plus a back-to-back adaptor, a webcam, a small graphics tablet,
two microcontroller programmers and a USB-serial adaptor cable... and a
small mouse, because I don't get on with those wretched gefingerpoken
devices.

If I just want email and web surfing, I carry a netbook, and only
carry power adaptors if I'm not on foot. Horses, as always, for courses.

--
Joe