Re: problem e-mailing debian groups

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:41:14 +0000 (UTC)
Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:

>Almost five years ago, I became unable to post questions here by e-mail.  The
>e-mail bounces with, for example:
>
>> The following message to <debian-user@lists.debian.org> was undeliverable.
>> The reason for the problem:
>> 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.7
><prvs=752320ad2=skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu>: Sender address rejected:
>undeliverable address: host syrano.acb.uc.edu[129.137.3.161] said: 550 5.1.1
><prvs=752320ad2=skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu>... User unknown (in reply to RCPT
>TO comm
>>
>> --4pO84.596/vqwKa.2j26M/gYqU.DibVXRw
>> content-type: message/delivery-status
>>
>> Reporting-MTA: dns; ucmailmx4.uc.edu
>>
>> Final-Recipient: rfc822;debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Action: failed
>> Remote-MTA: dns; [82.195.75.100]
>> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.7
><prvsu2320ad2=skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu>: Sender address rejected:
>undeliverable address: host syrano.acb.uc.edu[129.137.3.161] said: 550 5.1.1
><prvsu2320ad2=skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu>... User unknown (in re
>>
>> --4pO84.596/vqwKa.2j26M/gYqU.DibVXRw
>> content-type: message/rfc822
>
>This commenced about the time my employer started prepending a bounce address
>validation tag ("prvs=752320ad2=" in the above example) to my e-mail address
>on outgoing mails.  This fails with the debian lists but nowhere else.  I
>have circumvented the problem ever since by posting via gmane.org.
>
>But now I am screwed.  The e-mail address you now see (via gmane) gets >90%
>spam, presumably because the address is pulled by spammers from archives that
>include my posts.  So I set up a clean, new address that I intend to use only
>for receiving the digest.  The problem is that I have to confirm my
>enrollment by e-mailing
>  debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
>and that e-mail bounces because of the first problem.  I can't get to the
>confirmation address through gmane.
>
>Any ideas on how to fix either problem?  Thanks.

Perhaps contacting the list maintainer directly? Sometimes they can do
something to help out with this kind of issue. The maintainers address
is listmaster@lists.debian.org. I don't know how long it will take to
get an answer.

I am sure there will be other suggestions, also.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914