Apple Macbook Air + Thunderbolt VGA monitor/projector

A couple of days ago I installed Debian 8 to my Apple Macbook Air (mid
2012). There's no OS X anymore: the only thing left is the small EFI
partition; otherwise it's all just Debian. And I'm happy!

But Thunderbolt port with VGA monitor adapter is not working, and it
would be nice to have that as well. Some person somewhere in the net
said that Linux kernel 3.17 included support for Apple Thunderbolt.
Debian 8 has Linux 3.16, so I installed version 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 from
Backports. With newer kernel there is one more display in xrandr's
output:

    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    eDP1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 256mm x 144mm
       1366x768      60.00*+
       1360x768      59.80    59.96
       1024x768      60.00
       800x600       60.32    56.25
       640x480       59.94
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
      848x480 (0xb4) 33.750MHz
            h: width   848 start  864 end  976 total 1088 skew    0 clock  31.02KHz
            v: height  480 start  486 end  494 total  517           clock  60.00Hz

eDP1 is the main display and DP2 is added when Thunderbolt VGA adapter
and external monitor is connected. The resolution 848x480 is odd and
doesn't reflect real resolutions of the monitors I tried. But that's all
I can get currently. Command "xrandr --output DP2 --auto" doesn't seem
to do anything. External monitor remains blank, no signal.

Any suggestions for the next step?