Re: Ransomware meets Linux - on the command line!

On 11/11/15, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2015 01:32:21 Stuart Longland wrote:
>> On 12/11/15 08:24, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> > https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118624.aspx
>> > Comments. please - I'm not sure how to evaluate this or how to react.
>>
>> I don't see any mention of ransomware threats on that page.
>
> Wrong page - sorry.  It is clearly time I was in bed!
> https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/11/11/ransomware-meets-linux-on-the-command-line/

When it didn't work for me, I just figured it was one of those links
that self-destructs or something when it's passed between users. There
are some dynamically designed sites (for lack of better terminology)
that nothing you do preserves a link for sharing. You end up having to
give instructions on how to replicate a search instead of providing
the link. :)

It sounds not so good to me when it comes to having new, VULNERABLE
users in mind. Well, or even old, tired ones who aren't thinking so
quick on their feet (speaking firsthand, grin).

Is this something that should be shared over at Debian-Security? This
is my head nodding over in your direction, Lisi, since you found it.
:)

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/

I'm seeing words like "not moderated" and "posting is allowed by
anyone" in that list's description.

I'm naturally *a-suming* that they probably already know, but you
never know if they do. It sounds like something that Linux derivatives
need to yell from the rooftops to protect their more vulnerable users
(rather than keeping quiet and pretending it doesn't exist or
something).

I wonder about nudging Debian-Publicity, too, so they can see what
angle they might could possibly consider regarding the topic. Their
information target could be to help users stay alert and proactive in
avoiding this.... garbage. Same-same goes for that list: "This list is
not moderated; posting is allowed by anyone."

https://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/

For fun, I checked my inbox for any references to the ransomware.
There are ZERO references in what's probably at least 150,000 emails
or more. For that reason, I'm adding the name here: Ransm-C and
Linux/Ransm-C so this thread becomes searchable for it. :)

In the end, all the above is just.... my occasionally usual
not-so-humble (and yes, rambling) Opinion... :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with plastic sporks *