Re: Debian 8.1 ext4 directory sizes

Hi,

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>  tune2fs -l <block device>

"You can tune a filesystem, but you cannot tune a fish."

It says:

  tune2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
  Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
  Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
  Default mount options:    user_xattr acl

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> tack:~$ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/dm-1 | grep features

/dev/dm-1 ? Google ... man dmsetup ... gulp.

Ok. I have features "dir_index" and "extent".
But the directories don't shrink when being emptied.
So proposed option 1 by Dan Ritter does not work for me.

I still wonder for what a 3.8 GHz Xeon needs 2 seconds
when scanning 7.5 MB of invalid directory entries in RAM.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas