Re: How to make "headless" system?

On 11/7/15 3:36 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
Greetings;

I have a number of older PCs that I use for testing/local webservers, fileservers, backup machines and other stuff. A couple of these have "glass ttys", ie. no graphics at all, and others have old low-res monitors of 800x600 at best. Also, they are all in the basement, which is a trip I don't like to make very often!

I want to force these systems to support hi-res 1680x1050 or better so I can VNC to them from my main machine and be able to use graphic software to operate and maintain these machines.

Right now I mostly use ssh and it can be a real pain!

Can anybody tell me how to accomplish this or point me to a "How To" somewhere?

As someone else pointed out, you can always use X-windows over SSH.

But, speaking as someone who administers lots of servers - the command line rules. GUIs are for amateurs.

If you really want to use graphical tools to manage servers, use some kind of client-server tool like Nagios.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra