Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

El 02/11/15 a las 10:38, moxalt escribió:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 01:02:19 +1300, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

Logically, doesn't it make more sense to make it so that you install
with the minimum number of packages necessary, and then download any
extra packages you want *after* the install?

Yes. In fact, even when I am installing desktop environments, I will use my
trusty netinstall CD anyway because I prefer doing the installation myself- I
feel insecure at the mercy of the installer, and prefer to just apt-get things
myself anyway. I'm a bit of a control freak that way.

I have a really shaky internet connection, and I would just hate it to die on
me halfway through an enormous (say, GNOME) installation and then have the
entire thing fail. Much better to deal with things afterwards. More control.

You can use a non-netinstall CD or DVD to install a text-only environment, then boot and then complete the installation with a package manager. You may either limit yourself to the packages within the CD or DVD or add an online repository.

You can also boot a optical disk image from GRUB. I recommend this to avoid wasting an optical disk.