Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Sat 31 Oct 2015 at 21:12:42 +0100, Javi Barroso wrote:

> Hello,
>
> El 31 de octubre de 2015 20:17:41 CET, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> escribió:
> >Brian [2015-10-31 18:49:59Z] wrote:
> >
> >> Here are two verifiable facts:
> >>
> >>   brian@sid:~$ dpkg --status aptitude | grep Priority
> >
> >Package's priority can be overruled by... some system unknown to me.
> >This is Debian 8:
> >
> >    $ dpkg --status aptitude | grep Priority
> >
> >    $ apt-cache show aptitude | grep Priority
>
> You can see when priority was overruled
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=758561#12

This is a very good pointer. It doesn't explain why two different tools
give different answers but it does get to the heart of the matter.

Additional reading is at

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2015/05/msg00156.html

To confirm the OP's experience the

  debian-stretch-DI-alpha4-i386-netinst.iso

does not contain aptitude.