Re: Status of repository debian/testing?

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015, David Wright wrote:
[...]
> So waiting could still be a sensible option at this time. Some of us
> have yet to finish sorting out jessie (in my case, as a production
> system, not as an upgrade target).

As far as I can tell waiting is unlikely to solve the upgrade issues.
That's what I did for a while, manually holding back packages until
there was no conflict anymore (since aptitude was totally overwhelmed),
but things did not get better. Finally I got enough insight into the
conflicts to solve them. The issues I found fall in just a few
categories:

* A lot of packages have been renamed from 'foo' to 'foov5'. If your
  'foo' package was not marked as automatically installed ('i  ' rather
  than 'i A' in aptitude), then aptitude and apt-get will think it's
  because you explicitly want the 'foo' package rather than the 'foov5'
  one. So it will get stuck because the new packages want 'foov5' but it
  cannot remove 'foo', resulting in a conflict. This is the issue that
  waiting will never solve.
  -> The fix: In aptitude use 'b' to go from one broken package to the
     next, open the package page and go to the 'Conflicts' list.
     If this shows the package conflicting with a 'foov5' package,
     automatically installed. It should be scheduled for deletion and
     the 'foov5' should no longer be marked as broken.
     (You can also go to the 'foov5' package to mark that you really
     want it: '+')

* I had the same issue with the 'mysql-*-5.5' versus 'mysql-*-5.6' set
  of packages and possibly with a couple others I forgot.
  -> Fix: Again, mark the 5.5 packages as automatically installed and
     aptitude will figure it out.

* I have both the 32 and 64 bit versions of libxml2-dev installed so I
  can do proper Wine development work. The problem is libxml2-dev
  depends on libicu-dev which depends on g++. But neither g++ nor g++-5
  are not a multiarch package, not even 'MultiArch: foreign' ones. So
  although libicu-dev is marked as multiarch, only one version can be
  installed at any given time, unlike in previous versions (see bug
  799100). This then caused a cascade of breakage.

   -> Fix: The only way for now is to give up on multiarch for
      libxml2-dev and revert to manually creating libFoo.so links in the
      relevant /usr/lib directory :-( <rant>And to think multiarch,
      "including cross-compiling environments for embedded systems" was
      a release goal of the two year old Debian 7 and is marked as
      "Completed in Wheezy". What a bad joke!</rant> [1]

* I had BuildBot installed but it had trouble with python-sqlalchemy: it
  depends on 'python-sqlalchemy (< 0.10)' which is only available in
  Debian Stable. It also depends on python-migrate which, if installing
  the version available in Debian Testing, depends on python-sqlalchemy
  >=1.0~). Instant conflict (see bug 794300). Combined this confused
  aptitude and me enough that I removed buildbot for the upgrade.
  -> Fix: Pick the python-sqlalchemy and python-migrate packages from
     Debian Stable.

* Once I completed the upgrade I got a broken sddm (and if the results
  when I replaced it with lightdm are anything to go by, a broken KDE
  / Plasma too). This is because of a missing version requirement of
  some package on libqt5sql5 (see bug 802811).
  -> Fix: Install libqt5sql5 and the packages it depends on from Debian
     Unstable. There's already a fix for that which should get to Debian
     Testing one day.

With all that I now have an _almost_ usable desktop.
- sddm does not start on boot, nor from the console. But I can log in
  remotely and start it manually from there (see bug 803324).

- Switching the desktop effects off often kills kwin such that it does
  not restart. But I really only need it to work once and I can start it
  manually.

- plasmashell crashes multiple times per day, just as before the
  upgrade (see bug 794110 and bug 801501). Fortunately it restarts
  automatically so it just means I have to dismiss the crash dialog
  regularly.

- KWallet keeps asking me to set it up whenever I *quit* Google
  Chrome or *stop* openvpn as root (note: quit or stop, not start in
  both cases! see bug 797877) even though I have no intention of using
  it.

- And I have lost sound. Alsa does see the Intel HDA soundcard but
  PulseAudio/Phonon don't and stick to the dummy sound output. Somehow
  my user account got removed from the audio group but adding it back
  and a logout+login did not solve the issue. I still have not figured
  that one out yet.

But at least I should now be able to apply updates normally.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/
    https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/MultiArch

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget@free.fr>              http://fgouget.free.fr/