Re: Debian Desktop Environment

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:01:09 +0100, Mateusz Kozłowski <mateuszk@hush.com> wrote:

> Could You tell me which debian desktop environment is the most security and
> the best privacy and which You recommned for debian users? (KDE, XFCE, GNOME
> etc.)?

They're all reasonably secure. Of course, if you want to narrow your attack
surface, you shouldn't be running a desktop at all. Or even be using a computer
for that matter ;)

It's really just personal preference. I like Xfce. It's lightweight, fast,
doesn't eat RAM, isn't complicated, can look beautiful with a bit of theming,
and has sane settings. It's not very big on the disk either.

You can install it by installing xfce4 and xfce4-goodies.

If your computer can handle it and you want something a bit snazzier out of the
box, with all the bells and whistles, try KDE or something. I think it's
horribly bloated, but that's just me.

Another one I like is MATE, a fork of GNOME 2 before the GNOME project went
KDE-level insane.