Re: Suitable USB WiFi Adapter

On 10/29/2015 01:05 AM, moxalt wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:03:10 -0500, Tim McDonough <tmcdonough@gmail.com> wrote:

The older Dell laptop that I use for my mobile work has a broken
internal WiFi adapter. I'd like to get a recommendation on a USB "stick"
type adapter that plays well with Debian and Linux in general. Since I
have nothing now I'd just as soon get one that covers as many WiFi modes
as is practical... plan for the future.
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-dual-band-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-nusbdb

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-g-usb-adapter

I would get the first of these, _if_ your Linux is on the list. (Mine is not.)
I would not get the second--it is too small to have much of an antenna.
I would wonder about the third--it appears that it has a little antenna under the blob, but it's still smaller than the first item pictured.

Are you sure you can't get a replacement part for your laptop? Taking it apart and replacing the WIFI unit would be a pain, but would probably work the best,
assuming that you can get the proper driver for it. I eventually got a driver to work with my old Dell. And then I reinstalled Linux to a new drive, and forgot how I
got the damned Broadcom to work--but when it did, it worked quite well. Also, are you sure your WIFI doesn't work? Do you have Windows on the machine, and
does it work in Windows? If it works in Windows, it will work in Linux, but you may have a devil of a time getting the right driver! Good luck!

--doug