Re: after update kde (plasma) will not start any more

On 10/28/2015 03:46 PM, Hans wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2015, 12:53:05 schrieb Bob Weber:
>> Try this to see if it works:
> Hi Bob,
>> The solution is to downgrade libqt5x11extras5 to
>> libqt5x11extras5_5.4.2-2+b1_amd64 (or 385 if your system is 32bit).
>>
>> You should find libqt5x11extras5_5.4.2-2+b1_amd64.deb in the
>> /var/cache/apt/archives directory if you haven't run "apt-get clean"
>> recently. Mine was dated Aug 9.  Use "dpkg -i
>> libqt5x11extras5_5.4.2-2+b1_amd64.deb" to install it.  dpkg will notify you
>> that it is downgrading the package.
> yes, I already suspected this lib, but that version disappeared from the
> official repo. However, I found it in the internet. Installed, worked.
>
> But as I suggested: latest prior version should stay in the official repo for
> some time, just to be able to revert back.
>

>> *...Bob*
> Thanks anyway
>
> Best
>
> Hans

I have been burned too many times running testing so I have developed the
following procedures to make things a little safer.

I use approx on my internet router/server machine to serve debian packages to
all the other machines on my network.  That way I have all the packages that
have been installed since I started using approx.  I have disabled the cron job
for approx that cleans out the older packages approx retrieves so I don't have
to worry that I will lose any needed packages.  I can use "apt-get clean" on
each machine without worrying that I will lose older needed packages.

Besides daily backups using backuppc on a dedicated server I also use rsnapshot
to make a snapshot of my root file system (home is on another file system where
these backups go)  before I do an upgrade ... just in case.  If I miss some
problem a quick reboot into sysrescucd and I copy the snapshot back to the root
file system so I can get going again!

I also first upgrade 3 VM's running testing also so I will know of any problems
before I upgrade my main machine.  I caught the libqt5x11extras5 problem that
way.  I had the black screen of death on a VM.  I googled for a solution to the
problem after seeing sddm crashing with a segfault in libxcb.so in syslog.

...Bob