Re: conflicts in stretch

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 02:28:23 +0100, Jens Tobiska <jtobiska@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running sid/stretch and noticed that for some time now, around 200
> packages have been "kept back" when doing "apt-get upgrade".

Try an apt-get dist-upgrade. Apt-get upgrade only updates packages with new
versions available, while dist-upgrade removes redundant packages and installs
new dependencies as well. Do you dist-upgrade regularly? If not, this may be
the result of packages building up that need to have new dependencies
installed, or need to be removed. Don't worry; it most likely won't remove
anything important, but shuffle existing packages around basically. Try
dist-upgrade and see if that resolves the problem.

> Also installing some other packages (e.g. sqlitebrowser) does not work
> unless I uninstall some 64 other packages.

When I try to install sqlitebrowser on my system, the only other operations
that need to be carried out is the installation of 12 dependencies. In fact the
actual sqlitebrowser package is only listed as requiring 12 dependencies,
including standard stuff like libc, but also a whole bunch of qt libraries. The
situation you describe is very strange. Could you please give us the actual
output of apt-get when trying to install this package, so we can see what it
actually tries to remove?

Also, what desktop environment are you running (if any)?