Re: Mounting a DVD (busy message)

Hi,

> ... [ata_id] [blkid] [cdrom_id] ...
> I thought for a while, and then remembered that if you look at
> /dev/disk/by-label you can see a CD before it's ever mounted.

That's udev (or systemd having taken over the udev job).
It is not supposed to hold the drive for more than a few seconds.

> ... [mount] ... [udisks-part-id] ...

Afaik, udisks is the automounter.
But i have also seen gvfs processes which seem to mount stuff
without mounting it. At least not by open(2) O_EXCL.

(Dunno what the "[0]" or "[(null)]" means.)

> The first time, I gave up waiting ...
> So I had another go, and this time btrace spat out 368 lines
> A third try, was like the first: no lines

Yes. The behavior of the device automats is somewhat random and
cryptic.

> So here's my guess: as soon as I try to mount the CD, a process not
> under my control pops up (probably it's [cdrom_id]) and fills in
> /dev/disk/by-label.

This should happen on drive events. Tray out, tray in.

(Possibly one can artificially produce such events, too.)

> So my new question is: why doesn't the process that fills
> /dev/disk/by-label run when I insert the CD,

My /dev/disk/by-label only has mount directory names,
no filesystem ids. Inserting an ISO DVD does not make its
Volume Id show up there.

I probably killed most of my automats when searching for
the thing which still pulls in the tray of my /dev/sr1 after
200 seconds.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas