Re: installing/using grub-legacy

Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
> On Sunday 25 October 2015 10:43:27 Curt wrote:

> > > That is actually what it is in my case.  I could say GRUB 0.97-67 if you
> > > prefer.  I say KDE3, KDE4, GNOME3 etc too.  Rounded to whole number in
> > > every case.  GRUB 2 is actually GRUB 1.99-27+deb7u2 in Wheezy.  1 and 2
> > > just seem so much simpler in conversation.
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Grub
>
> OK  GRUB v1 and GRUB v2  I'm happy with that.  That is suitably unambiguous
> and simple.  I'll use that in future.

I think you've caved in unnecessarily. GRUB1 and GRUB2 are good terms.
GRUB2 is what took over from PUPA. It's a new architecture, not just a
new version.

"GRUB1" was never used AFAICT until GRUB2 arrived; but it wouldn't be:
it's a retronym, like "Old Penny". Who ever said that before 1971.

For the developers, who have virtually washed their hands of GRUB1,
talking about "GRUB" is fine. *They* know what they're talking about,
and it *ain't* Grub Legacy (aka GRUB1).

For support, which is what we are, using an unqualified "GRUB" is just
one more way of adding ambiguity to every † question and answer that
employs it because GRUB1 and GRUB2 are both still around and used.
(I hadn't realised there were people like Felix who love it so much
and are so keen to champion its cause.)

I'm happy for people to be courteous to the upstream developers:
For GRUB2, delete the "2" in your email.
For GRUB1, delete the email and save your breath.

† almost every. In my earlier email, I had checked that what I wrote
applied to both GRUB1&2 so it didn't really matter, except that had I
made that clear, we might have avoided this whole subthread...Sorry!

Cheers,
David.