Re: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!)

> * * *
> > How do I make custom boot menus, kernel, init choices and such using the
> > Grub?
>
> Heh. For just updating the kernel, it's automatic in Wheezy and
> beyond. but for other purposes, it's a real riot. You might want to
> stay with lilo for the time being.
>
> But you do want to look closely at what Gene suggests about the
> location of your kernel.
>
> How big is your boot or root partition? (Is it separate?) If you have
> only one partition, that's likely to explain a lot of what's
> happening, including your observation that large SATA disks seem to
> fail too quickly.
Point is that I installed with separate partitions and the installer gave me
ridiculously sized partitions. When I wanted two kernels around, I had to move
to the current partition on the old  80gigger

Here is part of df:
/dev/sdb2        9949448    443728   8977268   5% /
/dev/sda5        8518920   7303804    759336  91% /usr
/dev/sda9      942340652 137805424 756643980  16% /opt
/dev/sda8         368615      2106    342957   1% /tmp
/dev/sda6        2817056   2408016    246224  91% /var

/dev/sda9 is really home. I have /opt (and also usr/local)  bound to home
because of so much extra space there and shortage elsewhere. The cache part of
/var is symlinked also to a folder on home. Otherwise, I would be absolutely
crippled.

The other one terra disk, most of which is not damaged, would provide lots of
place for a proper /usr and /var, but after the last adventure, what can I do?

> (Unless you are operating at temperature extremes, or in extremely
> dusty or humid environments, SATA disks should not fail especially
> fast. But a kernel update ending up stored beyond BIOS read limits
> could make them appear to fail.)

??