Solved [was Re: How to run 'vnstat' as user?]

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 02:19:35PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:44:41AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> > <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>> > >
>> > Its a binary file produced by running "vnstat -u -i eth0" and is the
>> > 'database' for vnstat, containing all the historical info that can be
>> > outputted when you run the command "vnstat".
>>
>> Thanks, I thing I got it now. I'll test around a bit, but it'll take me
>> some time.
>>
>> I'll get back to you when I come around to it.
>
> OK. Let's get first the obvious things out of the way:
>
>  - what are the file permissions of this ~/cron/lib/eth0 file? What does
>    (as the "normal" user) ls -l ~/cron/lib/eth0 say?
>
>  - you can try to run vnstat under strace like so:
>
>      strace -o your.trace.file <your vnstat command>
>
>    after this, your.trace.file will contain a log of all system calls
>    done by vnstat. The failing system call should be localizable near
>    the end of that log (do post the last ~50-ish lines if in doubt)

The case has been resolved, and vnstat is now working nicely as user.
The solution is to remove the debian version of vnstat, and download the
programme from its home page, which from memory is version 1.14,
whereas debians version is 1.12. Following the instructions in the
downloaded programme it is very easy to set it up to just run as user,
rather than system-wide that the debian package uses.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1