root console at startup?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie).

I've just noticed that there's always a root console open on tty9 on my
laptop after booting. Is this normal or should I worry?

I've looked around on the web for information but haven't found anything
useful about this. Last time I poked around for this sort of thing on a
computer I'd have looked in places like /etc/inittab, but now it seems
that things have moved on from sysvinit to systemd, and I've no idea
where to look now.

If it's any help: I'm running without a desktop environment, just
booting to a console and starting X with stumpwm manually.

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
--
Jim Ottaway