Re: installing/using grub-legacy

Quoting Felix Miata (mrmazda@earthlink.net):
> All my many installations are seriously multiboot, with typically no less
> than 10 distro installations within a HD's first year of use, and upwards of
> 30 partitions as HD warranty becomes a distant memory.
>
> In order to Keep It (multiboot) Stupidly Simple, most booting here is via
> Grub 0.97.x. So as a first attempt to revert from grub2 to grub-legacy I've
> been trying with a 64 bit intel CPU wheezy installation on host msi85. I did
> apt-get purge of os-prober and everything I could identify as related to
> grub2, rebooted, then tried apt-get install grub-legacy. That pulled in
> grub-common, claiming to have installed both. But, nothing reached
> /boot/grub/. On rpm systems, rpm -i of a grub-legacy package populates
> /boot/grub/ with things like device.map, menu.lst, stage1, stage2 and
> *stage*. Enabling use as bootloader on the / partition can be a simple matter
> of creating a menu.lst and running setup from the grub shell. Thus, I rarely
> make use of any grub scripts personally managing multiboot configuration.
>
> Why didn't/doesn't apt-get put anything in /boot/grub/?

I can't think why apt would know of the existence of /boot, let alone
trample on anything that is already there. Imagine you had lilo on
your system and you'd decided to replace it with grub. So you install
grub and and it tramples on /boot...now your system in unbootable.

Once you've installed grub with apt, you can then run grub-install to
actually install the grub configuration itself.

Cheers,
David.