Re: alsa troubles

On 10/19/2015 04:04 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

I almost hardly dare say it, it is barely better than saying s*****d, but when
I have a problem with sound, I install Pulse Audio, install pavucontrol, and
have a look at what it says.

Done. pavucontrol makes a pretty picture on my screen, with lots of buttons to click on and no complaints. I tried several that seemed promising.

Still no sound. There are several 3.5mm jacks on the back of the machine, one of which is supposed to be the headphone jack. I've plugged into all of them, and get clicks in some of them, but no Goldbergs yet.

I'm using VLC to check on things. I tried mpv (suggested earlier in another response), but it's still not installed, and I can't find it.

pavucontrol has, in its menus, several things mentioned in the Supermicro manual for this machine, so it looks like there's some interaction between pavucontrol and the motherboard. But it just won't make any noise.

--
Glenn English