Re: Isn't this a security compromise?

On 14/10/2015 3:37 PM, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I searched today about what to do if one forgets his/her linux password.
> The following links described the process:
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_reset_root_password
> http://xmodulo.com/how-to-reset-root-password-in-debian-ubuntu.html

Almost every computer that isn't fully encrypted is toast if someone has
their grubby little hands on it.  ;-)

> These tutorials assume that a person has the possession of his/her
> machine which is true for non-mobile devices. But how can one make sure
> that the security of laptop/tablet having any distro of linux is not
> compromised?

Simple, use full disk encryption with a very good pass phrase and/or key
files.

A little more work to setup, but it is worth it, particularly if the
computer is one that travels with you out and about.

Kind Regards
AndrewM