Debian preseed late_command not executed

Hi,

I'm trying to preseed my installation which works fine so far but the
late_command is not getting executed.

This are my last lines of my preseed configuration:
> d-i preseed/late_command string \
>   in-target /bin/mkdir /root/.ssh ; \
>   in-target /bin/sh -c "echo 'ssh-rsa $ssh_key' > /root/.ssh/authorized_keys" ; \
>   in-target /bin/chmod 0700 /root/.ssh ; \
>   in-target /bin/chmod 0600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
> ### Finishing up the installation
> d-i finish-install/reboot_in_progress note

I don't see after reboot a /root/.ssh directory or even any notice in
/var/log/installer/syslog that he was trying to run a late_command.

Also I'm confused that the machine is get poweroff/halted and not
rebootet. But this might be because it's a kvm vm.

Any suggestions here?

Cheers
Flo