Re: a little jessie whinage

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:02:20 -0600
Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:22:37 -0600
> Glenn English <ghe@slsware.net> wrote:
>

> >On Oct 11, 2015, at 12:37 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Your expectations are too high.
> >
> >Don't agree. This is software is intended to run server(s) on the
> >Internet (for me) and other important networks (for enterprise
> >admins). For those applications, it needs to work for at least the
> >trivial software.
> >
> >'hostname -f' isn't rocket science -- it's just a small lookup. I
> >suspect it goes to ifconfig for the IP then in hosts for the FQDN
> >that matches the IP, or, apparently, resolv.conf and hostname. No
> >major problem either way. It could easily be done with a short shell
> >script (maybe it is, I haven't looked).
> >
> >> "Oops" conveys nothing. Which is probably why you didn't expand on
> >> it when replying to David Wright.
> >
> >That's exactly what I was trying to say. A next to meaningless error
> >message. "Couldn't find in /etc/hosts, any IP given by ifconfig:
> ><IP(s)>.", might be a little more useful.
> >

> I am still learning. I can't help asking why you would not be using
> something like dnsmasq instead of /etc/hosts on a server? Isn't it
> more reliable?

On a server, you would probably be using BIND, as the lighter DNS
software may cause obscure problems. I recall once using my home router
for DNS, until one day after a fairly tricky bit of email
troubleshooting, I discovered it wasn't returning *some* MX records...

If you're using BIND and dhcpd, it's not hard to link them to resolve
your local machines.

--
Joe